Monday 24 February 2014

¡Vegemite!



Look what I found recently in Barcelona! I was stoked (that's a word that I haven't used for years, but it seems very fitting to describe the joy finding Vegemite).

For those of you who don't know what this food-of-the-gods is, it's a yeast extract. A thick, black paste you spread on bread or better still, hot toast at breakfast.

Sounds inviting, no? Well, the truth is, if you weren't brought up on it, you'll probably find Vegemite pretty repulsive. Thankfully for Vegemite, most Australians are eating it pretty much as soon as they start on solids.

I found it in a most unusual place - a British supermarket. Now that is unusual for a couple of reasons: 1) I don't think I know a Brit who is a fan of Vegemite and 2) the British have their own version, Marmite, which they swear is far superior. I of course do not agree.

So for you Australians who find yourselves in Barcelona with a hankering for Vegemite on toast, here’s where you’ll find it:
A Taste of Home - English Food Shop
Carrer de Floridablanca, 78, Barcelona, 08015

Happy little vegemite…

No comments:

Post a Comment